Anna presents her paper on the life of Richard Fox at International Medieval Chronicle Conference in Nancy, France

by | Sep 21, 2023 | Uncategorised | 0 comments

Anna Probert Thesis Title A Study and Edition of the Chronicle of Richard Fox Institution University of Liverpool

NWCDTP funding allowed me to attend and present at the 10th International Medieval Chronicle Conference in Nancy, France. The Medieval Chronicle Society is an international and interdisciplinary society for researchers interested in medieval chronicles and medieval historiography more generally, and the society hosts a triennial international conference. My own research focuses on a chronicle written in 1448 by a man called Richard Fox. This conference, therefore, offered an invaluable opportunity to present my research to other specialists in this niche field.

unknown artist; Richard Fox (1447-1528); Pembroke College, Cambridge; http://www.artuk.org/artworks/richard-fox-14471528-195529

My paper explained my research into Richard Fox’s life, including his legal work for the abbey of St Albans, his creation of another manuscript which is a literary miscellany containing several different texts, and finally, his will, which included a description of his collection of books which was unusually large for the time, and mentioned the two manuscripts which Fox was responsible for creating. In examining these facets of Fox’s life, I discussed how they showed Fox’s literary and social connections and how these may have contributed to the writing of his chronicle.
Attending the conference also allowed me to participate in other sessions and hear other papers by other researchers on a wide variety of topics within my field. These ranged from using the concept of ‘us’ and ‘we’ in chronicles to the appearance of genealogical tables. It also allowed me to meet and connect with other researchers concerned with medieval chronicles more generally. Finally, I could also enjoy the historical context of the venue itself, both Nancy and the nearby city of Metz.

.

0 Comments