Hannah Helm’s (Our EDI Advocate) December EDI Update

by | Dec 6, 2023 | Uncategorised | 0 comments

Hello NWCDTP researchers! I hope you are all having a great month so far (although the grey and drizzly weather here in the North West leaves a lot to be desired…)

Here is some key information you need to know for December:

PGR Reps Winter Social

Your PGR Reps Adam North (University of Manchester) and Marta Zingdale (University of Manchester) have organised a Winter Social on Thursday, 14th December, from 12-3 pm. The event will take place in Room 6.208, University Place, University of Manchester. Students will be invited to make arts and crafts inspired by their PhD topic whilst enjoying a free lunch and the opportunity to socialise with other researchers. NWCDTP students from all years and institutions are invited to attend, and all catering and plans for the event are fully sustainable in line with the NWCDTP’s Sustainability Toolkit.

You can register for the event here.

If you have any questions, please get in touch with Adam (adam.north@postgrad.manchester.ac.uk) or Marta (marta.zingale@student.manchester.ac.uk).

EDI Training (2024)

The first EDI Training session in November, ‘Introduction to EDI Issues and the PhD Journey’, was very successful. I have since put together a fuller EDI Training schedule for 2024. All sessions will be online to maximise access and inclusivity and will include sessions themed around the following areas: decolonising PhD research, mental health and wellbeing, neurodiversity, intersectionality, building academic resilience and confidence (through yoga and meditation!), and a PhD parenting/caregiving survival guide. I will send out full details of the sessions, as well as registration links, in the new year.

EDI Questionnaire

The EDI Questionnaire will be circulated via email very soon. Please do make every effort to complete and return this questionnaire, as your responses and suggestions will give me a meaningful insight into your experiences as an NWCDTP researcher and how we can better support you.

If you want to share your experiences but feel that a questionnaire is not the most suitable or accessible data collection method for you, then please get in touch with me. I am more than happy to make alternative arrangements.

‘Foundational Aspirations’ Survey

I am looking to collect responses from NWCDTP students, staff, and other stakeholders to learn more about the ‘foundational aspirations’ that underpin our EDI work and agenda.

I want to update the EDI page on our website and create an informational ‘toolkit’ that more clearly defines what we mean by these ‘foundational aspirations’ and how they are demonstrated. Your input and voice are very important for helping me to implement positive change within the NWCDTP successfully.

Please complete the survey here.

EDI Group / EDI Committee

The first EDI Committee meeting will be on Monday, 22nd January 2024 (3-4 pm) via Microsoft Teams to discuss and address current EDI issues within the NWCDTP, as well as strategies for improvement. There will be further meetings in May and September (dates TBC).

If you are interested in EDI and feel passionate about involving student voices in our decision-making, then please email me to join the EDI Group and for a link to the EDI Committee meeting.

If you would like to get in touch to discuss any of the above, then please email me (h.j.helm@edu.salford.ac.uk) to have a conversation over email or Microsoft Teams.

I hope you all have a wonderful winter break – enjoy some well-earned rest from the PhD!

Hannah

0 Comments